Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Shopping Trip

Somehow I made it, I got some grocery shopping done. Total spent on food this month: $161.

Most notable deals at Meijer today:

1. Four for $10 general mills cereals...buy 4, get $3 off. So, that's FOUR boxes of cereal for $7, which is an amazing deal. I have 2 rules for cereal: One, the first ingredient must be whole wheat, and two, no chocolate (it makes Sam nutso-crazy). I found some that fit my criteria, and now I'm good for at least 2 weeks in the cereal department.

2. Sweet bell peppers on the super sale, get-rid-of-us-quick rack. I got 3 orange and 2 green peppers for $2.13. I will be using them soon, in a variety of ways.

3. Meijer boneless skinless chicken breasts in the family pack, $1.99/pound. Cheaper than the frozen package. I got 7 breasts, which I split three ways, packaged and froze.

Today's dinner

Today is a special dinner day. Sam got an awesome report card (he got his good looks and his smarts from his momma) and got to pick out dinner.

He wants salmon fillet (He also got his expensive tastes from his momma), "white" spaghetti, and fresh cucumber sticks.

Presently I am marinating 1.5 pounds of salmon in a plastic bag in the fridge. I will wrap the salmon in foil (rub a tiny bit of oil on the foil first) in a 350 degree oven, just until the fish flakes easily with a fork.

If there are left overs I will have a delicious spinach and salmon salad tomorrow for lunch.

White spaghetti is a family recipe, and there are tons of variations. My version uses extra virgin olive oil and whole wheat pasta.

For a 4 oz serving of salmon, .5 cup of white spaghetti and cucumbers, this meal is around 420 calories. The salmon has 22.5 grams of protein. Salmon contains omega-3 fatty acids which have been shown to have many positive health benefits, including improved cardiovascular health and brain function

This is an amazingly pricey meal for my house. Total cost for this meal is around $20. It's a special one though, and everyone deserves to celebrate a good report card.

1 comment:

  1. I had white spaggette (lol) last night with stir fry mixed veggie's. Enough EVO to cook veggie's and coat the spaggette! AWESOME! Did I need to even say, plenty of garlic? :)

    ReplyDelete